Hockessin Community Center, Inc. is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) agency. We are dedicated to the enrichment of lifestyles within the community by providing educational, financial, housing, cultural, and social service programs. Since inception, the Hockessin Community Center, Inc. has been an integral part of the community. For in a community where people work together, we discovered that anything can be accomplished.
To understand our future, you must understand our past…
In 1920, the Hockessin School #107c ‘aka’ Hockessin Colored School located at 4266 Millcreek Rd, Hockessin, DE was built to serve the needs of African American students in the community.
In the late 1940’s, a Hockessin family, along with the help of the NAACP pushed for integrated schools. With little success, this family sought the assistance of attorney Louis L. Redding to file suit against the department of education on their behalf. In 1952, this case was later combined with another Delaware case and ultimately taken to the U.S. Supreme Court.
In 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the “separate-but-equal” policy, declaring segregation to be unlawful. By 1959, the #107c closed its doors and a community-wide effort began to raise funds to purchase the building. In 1960 settlement was made on the property.
In 1967, the Hockessin Community Center, Inc. was incorporated. The center facilitated community improvement initiatives by serving the educational, cultural, recreation and social services needs within the community for many decades.
In 2004, the Millcreek Rd building housing the Hockessin Community Center, Inc, formerly known as the Hockessin School #107c and the Hockessin Colored School received a State historical marker in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Brown v. Board. It also received recognition in the Smithsonian National Museum of American History.
In 2005, Hockessin Community Center, Inc. was designated by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as an agency approved to provide certified housing counseling services. Understanding that the need was greater than the village of Hockessin, we extended our reach to residents in surrounding communities.
In 2008, Hockessin Community Center, Inc. began a major renovation project to expand the facility to better serve the needs of the community. Business programs & services moved to a temporary location on Old Lancaster Pike (less than a mile away) while the project was to be completed. In 2009 construction ceased and Hockessin Community Center, Inc. found itself with a gutted out, un-inhabital building. In 2013, the Millcreek building was sold. The Hockessin Community Center, Inc. continued to operate business in the Old Lancaster Pike location until 2015.
In 2012, Hockessin Community Center received a CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION from the United States Department of Housing & Urban Development. Secretary Shuan Donovan recognized the center for it’s dedication & commitment to make a difference daily in the lives of american families, it’s valuable contribution made within the community & the continued commitment to outstanding service to meet the nation’s housing needs.
In 2015, we moved our office. New Vision…New Location…Same Spirit! We are grateful for our loyal constituents. Thank you! We never lost sight of the most important thing during this transition…you! Hockessin Community Center, Inc. is devoted to providing the same spirit of excellence when it comes to our level of service.
The best part is that we never stopped helping our community. Our programs and services have aided in restoring the “American Dream” for low-to-moderate income individuals and families in need of emergency services, community resources, financial literacy and housing education and counseling.